View Ideas...

Free organic gardens

I would like to see disused areas converted into allotments around the city, where local people work voluntarily to grow food organically. It should be maximised through good design (raised beds, vertical gardens, greenhouse) to increase the yield. Then, with the food, people are allowed to take it for free (but it's managed by the workers to keep control of what is given out). If people are better off, they can give donations but others are not so well off they can simply eat for free. I think that this would really open people's eyes and minds to know that we had, say, 30 or 40 gardens of this kind and it would have a significant effect on how we view society.

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Elliot LordElliot Lord shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SaffiSaffi commented  · 

All these ideas link with Windfall which was my idea of using local unwanted/unused fruit (and other fresh foods) to share, but also to use unwanted space to have a pop-up cafe where people can come and eat and give a donation and it could also be used as a community space to share food and ideas, bring people together to keep the energy going. All the ideas below would link so well. Looking forward to the discussions on Friday/Sat.

• MelMel commented  · 

I think this project could link quite nicely with something like the Casserole Club (http://www.casseroleclub.com/about ).

From their website:

Helps people share extra portions of home cooked food with others in their area who might not always be able to cook for themselves.

For those who aren’t on the internet, Casserole helps those who are offline to order meals, connect and pair up with local people - In fact most of the diners we have registered we’ve met personally and support through phone and text.

• Elliot LordElliot Lord commented  · 

@ Donagh - The ideal thing would be to locate council-owned land and decide which areas to develop for this purpose. To find gardeners, we could advertise in libraries and local shops, as well as on facebook, etc. This whole system would essentially be a co-op as if there were a number of them around the city, they would all need to follow the same principles. There is likely to be a great objection from supermarkets and those who want to protect big companies, so it would require us getting over a lot of hurdles to make it happen. But, from my perspective, I would not be prepared to let this dissolve if it got started. The only people to oppose it would be those who make money from selling fresh food (there is an issue with local greengrocers, though. This could damage their livelihoods. Any ideas?).
        In terms of improving the quality of life, I would like to see community meals happening, where big groups gather somewhere to cook and eat together.

@ Anna - I'm all for linking up with every kind of local enterprise. If you go to my website- ourownfuture.org you can get in touch with me and we can talk about doing such a thing in the future.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Hi! I love the idea, I am the originator of "Soul food" bar and would love to link my activity with your idea. We would need a supply of fresh locally grown veggies and fruits :) Hope it's gonna work out for all of us :)
        Best of luck
        Anna

• DonaghDonagh commented  · 

What kinds of things would be needed to make this happen? Would a website mapping vacant sites be something? How could we connect up growers and people who could use food? Is there some way we could use some of the produce to improve lives in Wolverhampton? Could it work as a Co-op? Could it also provide a new quality of public space in the style of http://www.urbanreforestation.com ?

• JulieJulie commented  · 

Brilliant idea there is disused allotment space in Emerson road wv10 that would serve a deprived area well

• Elliot LordElliot Lord commented  · 

Hi Donagh,
        Have you looked at landshare.net? There could be a few possibilities for you there. The W'ton Community Development Partnership are looking into identifying areas to be developed for all purposes and I'd like to develop allotments of this kind but it's still in early stages.
        Visit ourownfuture.org to see what I'm up to.

• DonaghDonagh commented  · 

Hi guys, are there any specific areas or spaces you have in mind? Is there an opportunity to link up with other allotment and growing co-ops in Wolverhampton?

Feedback and Knowledge Base