View Ideas...

Sunbeamland - Studios and Offices

On the corner of Pool Street and Paul street ( on the Penn road island ) is a wonderful building that is ideally placed for conversion into a 'custard factory' style space including artist studios cafe's and space for small businesses to operate from.

It would be a great place to encourage the university graduates to move into once they have finished at Wolves Uni which already has a great creative department..

The Unit has a yard in the centre which would be a great place to have a cafe and meeting space.

This side of town is in desperate need of investment and this is one of the last landmark building's that has not accidentally burnt to the ground 'yet' .

66 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David Perkins shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jo Reynolds commented  · 

Using a development like this to create an 'artists quarter' would be great, like has been said it would encourage graduates to stick around!space for workshops and studios, with gallery space and retail outlets for the items produced on site would be excellent. In a consumerist world where we seen to crave individual and bespoke items, these small start up units have massive potential.

• Saffi commented  · 

i like the idea of this idea, but agree with James' comment below. Perhaps we need to find out what the barriers are for people in setting up the kind of activity that would make these buildings vibrant and sustainable. In my opinion it is a 'chicken and egg' issue. We need people to come to Wolverhampton becuase there are lots of interesting and dynamic things going on and there is a buzz that they want to be part of, however, we need the interesting and dynamic things to bring the people which will create the buzz! However, doing something is the first step and it is inspiring that Wolverhampton is having a MAKE:shift event in the first place - I feel that this is a turning point and the best is yet to come...

• Donagh commented  · 

What kind of things would we need here to attract students, entrepreneurs and get real creative activity up and running? 3D printers? Fibre Optics?

Who would we be hoping to locate there and what business support and mentorship could we offer them and how?

• Anonymous commented  · 

Sunbeamland would also be an ideal building to convert into a Manchester Printworks style - add restaurants and smaller commercial units to the above idea.

• James commented  · 

Lots of votes, but no comments?

I quite like this idea, although the Light House / Chubb Building on Fryer Street is a very similar operation and the building sadly has plenty of empty units to let.

There's also Pressworks on Berry Street, which again is similar and offers office space at pretty low rents....but they always have boards outside advertising available space.

Personally, I think we should be investigating what we can do to get people using the type of spaces we already have in Wolverhampon. There's no point creating more if the ones that already exist are half empty!

Feedback and Knowledge Base