View Ideas...

Gap Fillers

This is an idea I picked up from New Zealand in the aftermath of the Christchurch earthquake but I think it can be easily used in Wolverhampton.

After the quake in NZ a lot of buildings had to be pulled down and a project sprung up to fill the gaps left behind, Unique art and community spaces.

There have been things like cycle powered cinemas, giant monopoly boards, community games, live music and book exchanges.

We could bring people and organisations into the city to look at using our empty shops in a similar way. It could be sporadic with different things and different times or my favourite a kind of festival of empty spaces with a period of time with all empty units full of unique and different interactive art projects, displays and "events"

17 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Steph JenningsSteph Jennings shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Manni TakharManni Takhar commented  · 

Hi have an idea for a Gap filler and would love to get involved, but I can't make the sessions on 21st/22nd

• Sam AxtellSam Axtell commented  · 

Wow
        That would really give a different impression of Wolverhampton

• Mike HardingMike Harding commented  · 

I like this. Maybe extend the concept past empty shops and use spaces with capacity around the city and our communities eg a book exchange every Wednesday at a local coffee shop, or real life Monopoly games - I've seen these before in other cities, where on Sundays real streets are used in a race on a Monopoly principle, taking in cafes, libraries, sports centres and retailers, its a real team based challenge (gives the participants a new insight into the area)

Feedback and Knowledge Base